Link to Portfolio

Sunday, April 29, 2007

White Balance and Revelations

It's wicked late so I'll keep this short. Took a bunch of wedding photos Sat, but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll post a good one and then take some more tomorrow, er, today. White balance This is something that I've sorta known about for a long time, but I had an interesting thought about it. Seeing takes place in the mind. So if you learn something, it can change/enhance the way you see. I realized that white balance is a prime example of this. If you're in a room lit with only red lights, you're "eyes" (actually brain) will adjust and you'll be able to recognize whites as white—not pink. Most people don't realize that fluorescents are green and incandescents are orange-ish. Now I'm not saying I can magically "see" the absolute color tone of all light sources, but I've become more aware of it, and sometimes I can, especially in mixed lighting situations, sort of tell where there are some cool lights, where there are some warm ones and where there are some green ones. Whereas someone else may just assume it's all the same color. I just thought it was interesting that I may never see the world the same way again, after raising my awareness of white balance.

No comments: